Biking is one of those forms of exercise that doesn’t always feel like exercise. As you are out enjoying the scenery and fresh air, it can seem more like a joy ride than a fitness venture or biking exercise! But the fact is, cycling is a great form of exercise. If you want to get in shape with biking, it’s a good idea to make sure you have the basics down. Maybe you want to get your family involved, too.
Here are some tips on how to get in shape with biking.
Biking Exercise Gear
If you are serious about getting in shape with bike riding, it’s a good idea to get the right gear. Here is a list of the minimal gear and equipment needed for cycling (besides a bicycle, of course).
* Helmet – This is probably the single most important piece of cycling gear you’ll own. Everyone in the family should wear a helmet when cycling, regardless of size and age. Make sure you have one that fits well and feels comfortable.
* Tire pump and patch kit – It’s a very good idea to have a portable tire pump with you. If you get a flat tire or otherwise find that your tires need air, then having a pump can make all the difference. Carry a patch kit, too, in case the tire gets torn or punctured. You don’t want to be miles from home and have to walk your bike back!
* Water – Being able to drink while cycling is very important. Get water bottles that can be worn at the waist using clips. This way, you can take at least two bottles along without having to wear a backpack. G
* Sunglasses – You may not think about protecting your eyes, but when you cycle for a while, your eyes can get dry and irritated from the constant Sunglasses also protect your eyes if you wear contact lenses.
It can be really fun to get the whole family going on a bike ride. To help get them motivated, here are some suggestions.* Plan a cycling trip to a favorite store or landmark. Having a pleasurable goal in mind can help a lot with motivation.
* Make sure everyone in the family has the proper gear and equipment.
* Use your bikes to explore places you can’t go on foot or in a vehicle. The prospect of seeing something new and different can help motivate everyone. Looking for a quick workout? See the workout that we suggest in the article, “Lose Your Tummy, Get Ripped with this Quick Workout”.
Are you ready to take your fitness journey to the next level?